You guys, I am so excited- I made jeans! Finally!! I know I have been threatening to make jeans for quite some time now….hoarding denim and gathering supplies. But until recently there weren’t any patterns out that I was super excited about. When I saw the Jamie Jeans by Named, I knew I had found my first pattern. So here they are!They are not perfect, but they are pretty darn close. And I made zero changes to the pattern- none! There are a few small adjustments I will make next time, but overall I am happy with them and have worn them pretty much every day since I made them!
I know there has been a lot of interest in this pattern, so I want to go into some detail and share my experience/thoughts on this pattern with you…if you are not into that feel free to skip it 😉
So let’s start with printing…the pattern is formatted for the standard European paper size (A4) which is a little longer than the standard size here in the US. I thought about hunting down some A4 paper, it’s available on Amazon and office store websites, but I had some US legal size paper (which is longer) and that worked just fine. The good news is you only have to print and tape 12 pages, the bad news (for some) is that you have to trace it because the pattern pieces overlap. I always trace my patterns so didn’t think that was a big deal.
The instructions were pretty well explained for the most part, but there are no pictures or diagrams AT ALL. And I definitely needed a visual reference on some of the steps. Lucky for me (and you!) I found through Pattern Review a lovely lady named Jennifer has posted step by step photos and instructions for this pattern on Flickr. Yeah. I am so thankful for the work she put into this, because I think there would have been a lot of frustration trying to figure out some of the steps without her photos. It sounds like they are taking all of this input and working to improve future patterns based on the feedback people are giving, so I would imagine we’ll see some diagrams on the future patterns.
I found the pattern to be very well drafted- everything came together nicely without any problems, notches all lined up and everything looks very professional. My measurements fit exactly into a size 36 (US 4), and as I said I made them up with no changes at all. For next time I will add some width to the calves- they are a little too tight there and that seems to be a common complaint amongst people who have made them so far. I would also lower the rise just a little- they hit at kind of an in between spot on me where they want to slide down a bit. I’ve been wearing them with a belt and they’ve been fine that way. But that’s it, otherwise I am happy with them! The rear view…hehe. I know you guys need to see it but I always feel a little funny posting pictures of my bum. And it was so cold taking these- I am not loving winter photo shoots! The actual sewing was not so hard, my main issues were the buttonhole and belt loops. My machine does pretty well with topstitching thread- I use regular thread in the bobbin, a topstitching needle, and I have to loosen the tension pretty much all the way. But when I was sewing the belt loops on it was just too many layers and I had to switch back to regular thread. It’s not noticeable at all though. I ended up hand sewing the buttonhole, but I probably could have used regular thread there too and been fine. A note on topstitching- I think these jeans look good with non-contrasting topstitching, and it is way less stressful because any little bobbles you have are not noticeable like they would be if you were using a contrasting thread color. So if you have been on the fence about making these I hope this gives you a little push to get started! This was such a satisfying make, and I love wearing them. I also made this top and scarf, but I will write a follow up post for those guys soon, I feel like I have rambled on enough for now…