It’s another in what I am sure will be a lot of Scout Tees…I have been seeing these lace tees all over Pinterest for a while now, and I figured the Scout pattern would be perfect to make one of my own! Skirt: bottom half of a failed Miz Mozelle maxi dress, blogged here. Necklace: Clyde’s Rebirth (again)
Lucky for me I had some lace in my stash…when my stashbusting challenge is over I definitely want more- maybe a cotton lace with large scale flowers (like this, this, or this, gah!!), and I have seen some really cool polka dot lace also. This one is a cotton lace I got at (gasp) Joann’s…I don’t often buy fabric there but occasionally something catches my eye.
I made the same fit alterations as my first Scout, and I think I figured out a fix for my armhole pulling problem (which is not that bad, I have worn that shirt a few times and it really doesn’t bug me like I though it would). I did what Lisa G recommended which was a forward shoulder adjustment- the shoulder seam was pretty far forward already so I just moved the underarm seam forward a bit by adding 1/4″ to the back part of the sleeve, and subtracting 1/4″ from the forward part. Not a big change, but that underarm seam falls straight down from my armpit now, and in my first version it angles to the back. And no pulling on this one, yay! I also took another 1 1/2″ off the length.I had this hat in the car so I thought I would try it out…not sure if I am cool enough to pull it off though!
As promised, here are some detail and inside out pics:For the hems and neckline I folded it over 1/4″ and sewed a seam, then folded it over agin 1/4″ and sewed the hem. Easy! Keep in mind if you do this on the neckline it will make the neck opening a little larger as the original seam allowance is 1/4″. I wanted a little larger neckline for this one, but if you didn’t you could just add an extra 1/4″ to the seam allowance when you are cutting it out.
I used french seams, which is what I have done every time I have sewn with lace fabric- I think it works well because sometimes you are sewing nothing, in between designs. By the time you sew it and fold it twice you can catch something the whole length of the seam and mine have held up well so far.