Believe it or not, this was my first time sewing with a Colette pattern-what took me so long, right?? This is the Colette Laurel pattern, which has a few different dress options, and this blouse version.I bought the Juniper pants pattern a while ago but haven’t got around to making them yet (this will definitely happen soon though, I am in serious need of pants!). The patterns are so lovely, the packaging is pretty and from just this one experience the instructions are great too. I have been hesitant to use them though because their patterns are drafted for a C cup, and I was soooo dreading a small bust adjustment. Well, I am afraid no more! It was pretty easy, I used this tutorial from Megan Nielsen.
I decided to make a couple of tops first, this one is made from Nani Iro double gauze, with linen bias tape for the sleeves and neck binding. I have had this fabric in my stash for a while; I kept wishing I had enough to make a dress but then this pattern came along and I though it would make a perfect top.
I made a muslin first, something I usually do even though it is super annoying to me. I always have a few moments when I start a project where I think I can get away with just going all crazy without a muslin, but thankfully I almost always talk myself into making one. I enjoy my sewing so much more when I know it’s going to fit in the end! I made a few changes with this one- the small bust adjustment (5/8″), moved the darts down 1″, and took about an inch of ease out of the back of the sleeve. It was pretty poofy back there! Oh, and I modified the shape of the armhole in the front- the curve there was pretty severe and I had some weird pulling across my upper chest. I just filled in that curve a little (about 1/2″) and the problem went away. Yay for muslins!
So here’s what I love about this pattern…same pattern, totally different shirt! I rescued this fabric from a dress that I bought but have never worn. It is a really nice lightweight hemp/organic cotton blend that feels a lot like linen but doesn’t wrinkle. I have always loved the fabric but the dress was a little frumpy.
I was freezing in these pictures, we just got snow the other day, yikes! It is funny that I am always sewing spring tops for Rae’s Spring Top Sewalong with snow on the ground.
Other than the sleeves these tops are pretty much the same, except on this one I did a bias faced neckline, using this awesome tutorial. I consider Jen of Grainline to be my own personal sewing coach, she just isn’t aware of it. Seriously, all of her instructions and tutorials give such professional looking results that it makes the perfectionist in me sooooooo happy 🙂 Next up: Laurel, the dress version(s)!!