This poor Archer shirt has been shoved in a corner, mostly finished for quite some time now. Not for any reason other than I got really busy with some other projects. As soon as I had some downtime I knew I needed to finish it!What can I say? This is another great pattern by Jen of Grainline. I didn’t make any changes other than lengthening the sleeves by 1/2 inch. Believe it or not, this is the first button up (down?) shirt I have ever owned! ***I wasn’t sure if it would be my style, but I figured it would be a good item to layer over dresses and tank tops during the summer. Here I am wearing it over one of my Mission Maxi dresses. The fabric is a super lightweight, very soft chambray. I didn’t know if I would like the contrast top stitching, but now that it is finished I really do like it. It was a beast while I was sewing though- that cream colored thread showed every little bobble. I had to redo a few areas, but overall it went OK.I would say that the pattern instructions are geared towards an intermediate sewist…I was a bit lost on parts but Jen did a sew along, and those posts and videos really saved me. Now that I have made it once the next one will go a lot easier.
This was my first time really sewing buttonholes on my new machine (I got a Juki a couple of months ago.) It did a great job! I am so happy to be able to sew nice buttonholes easily, my old machine was not the greatest. I also used a special foot to sew the buttons on…it may possibly be the best $10 I have ever spent, sooooo much faster than sewing them all on by hand!
I like the angled cuffs!
Overall, I would say this is a great pattern that I will definitely make again! I have two more versions planned and I hope to get to them soon. I’ll leave you with a random shot of me by an old tractor 🙂***OK, so my husband corrected me on this…I used to be an airline pilot, and I wore button up shirts to work every day. But it was a uniform! So I don’t really think that counts.