Well I don’t think it’s a secret around here that I think Jen’s Grainline patterns are the bees knees…I have made the Scout Tee several times, a couple of Moss Skirts, a couple Hemlock Tees- and now my second Archer button up! (You can read about my first one here.)December was Archer Appreciation Month, and I almost got this done in time but we were traveling the last part of the month. SO it had to wait until January. Oh well, I love it all the same and I’m glad I didn’t rush through it. I don’t think anything about these shirts is particularly hard, but you definitely need to take some time with it. I used Andrea’s method for attaching the collar stand and it worked fabulously- thanks girl! For the rest I did like last time and relied heavily on Jen’s awesome sew along posts- lots of hand holding there and some videos, definitely a huge help!For the topstitching, I am constantly poking around in my husband’s closet to see how they do it on his ready-to-wear shirts (he has approximately one mazillion plaid button ups). And I like to scrutinize their plaid matching skills too 😉
I added plackets from the Threads website to the sleeves and I am a little “meh” about them…I think next time I’ll just stick with the ones in the pattern. For some reason they ended up adding about an inch to the circumference of the sleeve, and I had to recut the cuff bigger. I most likely bungled something up but can’t really figure it out. The end result is OK though. The only other change I have made to the pattern is to add 1/2″ to the sleeve length, because I have long arms and I like my sleeves long too.I cut the pockets, button placket, and yoke on the bias because duh, didn’t want to do more plaid matching than necessary 😉 And I think it looks cool too! Speaking of plaid matching, I used Jen’s super easy method and let me say I am sooooo happy with it. I don’t think it even added much time to cutting, the only difficulty I had was that my fabric was a little off grain straight out of the dryer so I had to fight with it a bit to get the lines straight. This fabric came from Fashion Fabrics Club and was like $5 a yard, yay! I don’t normally go for pink but I am trying to branch out and I really liked the look of this plaid. Their website said 100% cotton, but when it arrived I was surprised to find it had a bit of stretch to it. I worried it might cause an issue, but it didn’t really affect anything and makes it super comfy to wear!So I have definite plans for 6 more Archers, I know it’s crazy but cute button ups are just such an easy thing to reach for when getting dressed. I love layering these over my lace Scout tees and maxi dresses. I am considering sewing in groups of 3, assembly line style. We’ll see 🙂 If you haven’t made an Archer yet, I highly recommend this pattern- it’s the cat’s pajamas (haha, had to throw another one in there).